I’m not kidding- I easily eat this salad 2 times per day. There are a lot of subtle variations to please your taste buds, I’ll include some of them, and of course, feel free to experiment on your own. I even use it as a ‘bed’ for pasta sauces and the like (yep… it can get pretty wild in my salad bowl)
I love pumpkin oil for the flavour- but it also has health benefits! Pumpkin oil is rich in zinc, magnesium and is an anti-inflammatory food. Nutritional yeast is rich in B vitamins, a good source of protein and has antiviral and antibacterial properties. And the main reason I eat it? It’s just darn delicious.
Wondering where to buy some of the ingredients? Pumpkin oil is usually found at a health food or specialty grocery store. You can also purchase it here. Nutritional yeast is sold at most grocery stores in the health food aisle (ever think its odd that grocery stores need a health food section? what if all food sold were health promoting…) or here.
- 1 large avocado
- 2 tbsp. apple cider or white balsamic vinegar (balsamic will be higher in sugar and much sweeter; I often do one of each)
- 1-2 tbsp. Pumpkin oil (optional)
- 2-4 tbsp. Nutritional yeast (optional)
- Unrefined Sea Salt to taste
- Garlic powder to taste- a few sprinkles is good!
- Loads of greens: shredded cabbage, spinach, mixed greens
- In a LARGE bowl (my salad bowl is massive!) mash the avocado with the vinegar, oil, salt and garlic.
- Add all the greens.
- Sprinkle with yeast and toss up!
- Taste before servings- it's easy to add a bit more vinegar, oil or salt before serving.
- To make it a complete meal, add protein. Hard boiled eggs mix in really well! You can also toss in your leftover steak, chicken, or some black beans. You can also add in things like left over cauliflower rice, or pretty much anything you find in your fridge!
- Portions depend if its a side or if its the main meal!