I’m borderline addicted to my green smoothies- and single leaf of kale was my gateway drug. And I NEVER thought I would be saying that. In fact about 3 months ago I was very adamant that only fruit or chocolate was meant for smoothies. Spinach, kale, and all the greens were meant for salads.
Then I started really improving my diet. I’ve always been ‘pretty good’, but I would easily fall into sloppy habits (READ: SUGAR). But a wonderful thing happens when you start to eat really well- your tastes change.
A red pepper is mind blowing. A fresh, crisp and cool carrot is mouth watering. And a single leaf of kale turned into hemp hearts, and a whole bunch of greens. I also started adding collagen protein (see the tips below). I also switch it up with a good quality vegan protein.
If you’re not a lover of green smoothies (yet), ease into it. Start with a few leaves, and allow your tastes to adjust to the delicious, natural flavours of real, whole food.
Please comment below and share your favourite smoothie ingredients!
- 1/2 frozen banana
- 1 handful frozen blueberries
- 1 1/2 cups almond milk
- 1/4 cup full fat canned coconut milk
- 2 tbsp. hemp hearts OR 1 tbsp. almond butter
- 1-3 large handfuls spinach or mixed greens
- 2 tbsp. collagen protein
- **To make a vegan shake, skip the collagen or swap it for a vegan protein
- Add all ingredients except for the protein to the blender. Blend til smooth. At the very end, add the collagen and blend one more time.
- Collagen is a wonderful protein source. It dissolves best into cold liquid when added at t!e end.
- Sip and enjoy!