Remember that time you decided not to ever eat carbs, sugar, pizza (insert any applicable food here) again and you did it with success and ease??
Of course you don’t!
That’s because it’s pretty much the same as abiding by “don’t think about a pink elephant!”
You see, when you deem a particular food or category of food “off limits,” most people find that their cravings increase. Can you relate? And perhaps willpower will keep you strong, but eventually you’ll go off the rails and end up overdoing it.
Instead, let’s understand 2 things:
- Why it’s actually good for you to have carbs and
- How to create some easy guidelines around consuming them.
We’ve talked before about how there are two types of carbs – both fibrous (vegetables) and starchy (breads, grains, sugars, etc). Yes… your kale and cauliflower is a great source of carbohydrates! You know that fibrous carbs are essential, but I’m here to tell you that starchy carbs are also ok, and here’s why…
Starchy carbs have several benefits, including the fact that they help you put on muscle. Starchy carbs affect your insulin, and insulin is a powerful anabolic hormone that supports muscle gain. They’re also great for post-workout recovery and a feeling of satiety in general.
Now, for a few rules. If you want to ENJOY starchy carbs – both in taste and benefits if fat loss is a goal – here are a few things to consider.
- Enjoy starchy carbs once per day (most of my clients do best with a serving in the evening, or within 2 hours after a workout with their metabolism is up and glycogen stores need to be replenished)
- Always pair starches with protein and don’t overdo the fat (some is ok!)
- Eat to 80% full – it’s easy to overdo it when you get your hands on starches!
By following these simple, non-limiting rules, I hope you’ll enjoy carbs while reaping their benefits and maintaining a guilt-free approach to food!
To Your Success,
P.S. Registration for the next round of the Whole YOU Transformation will open soon! Get on the wait list and be the first to know when registration opens!