I love the convenience of granola bars, but am not a fan of the ingredients. When sugar is listed multiple times in the ingredients (as sugar, glucose-fructose, and corn syrup), and any fibre comes from added insulin, I wonder if I am better off eating a Kit Kat. The solution? Homemade high protein granola bars. You can be creative with this recipe. Play around with it by adding your own combination of seeds, nuts and dried fruits.
I made these on the weekend while prepping my meals for the workweek. For breakfast on the go, I’ll mix cottage cheese, a diced apple, cinnamon, and one of these protein bars (chopped up). YUM!
- 3 cups(ish) rolled oats
- 1/2 cup EACH diced dried dates, apricots and cranberries
- 1 cup protein (I mixed whey and collagen protein)
- 1/2 cup pumpkin seeds **be creative... you can add whatever you like 🙂
- 1/2 cup coconut flakes
- lots of cinnamon (I LOVE it.. optional of course)
- pinch of salt
- 3 eggs
- 2 bananas
- Preheat oven to 350F.
- Line a large baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Mix all dry ingredients in a large bowl.
- Blend bananas and eggs in a blender.
- Pour banana/egg mixture into dry ingredients and mix well.
- Transfer onto baking sheet and press mixture down so it's evenly distributed. I used a greased piece of saran wrap to help me, as the mixture would just stick to my hand or spatula.
- Bake at 350F for about 20 min.
- Let cool, cut into squares and store in the freezer.