I love hiking… in case you didn’t pick that up from my social media accounts. And recently I was fortunate to spend the morning hiking/ running. As we approached the top of the mountain, my legs were burning, I was sweating, and starting to feel a bit, well, tired.
Then it happened. My friend Brian asked if I would like a homemade energy ball.
Food tastes exceptionally good when you’re out in the wilderness, and not only were these energy balls delicious, they gave me a much needed energy boost to get to the car.
I went right to the store, picked up a few ingredients and made a modified version of Brian’s energy balls. His were arguably simpler to make: mash together 2 bananas, 1/3 cup peanut butter, 1/4 cup honey, 2 cups oats and 1/2 cup chocolate chips. Take your pick, or add your own flare.
Let your kitchen be a place to create magical, delicious, nourishing food!
- 1 thin, whole wheat pita per person (you can also use thin tortillas, or gluten free version… or go for cauliflower crust)
- Pizza sauce or marinara sauce to cover the crust.
- 3-4 oz cooked chicken breast, diced
- 2 large mushrooms, sliced and sautéed
- 1 small handful sun dried tomatoes
- 3/4 oz. goats cheese
- 3/4 oz. grated sharp cheddar cheese
- 3-4 large basil leaves, torn
- Pre-heat oven to 400F. Place pita/ tortilla on a pizza pan. Top with pizza sauce or marinara sauce, cheddar cheese, and then the rest of the meat, veggie and cheese toppings.Bake for 10-12 minutes until cheese is melted and tortilla is golden brown. Let it sit for a few minutes, cut into 4 pieces,ENJOY!