We all know a well-designed and consistent exercise program combined with a healthful diet helps us look and feel our best.
But what you do outside of your workouts also matters. So often we check the workout box by doing a quick strength workout, or brisk walk, but we are missing out on simple opportunities to improve our health throughout the day.
NEAT, or Non-Exercise Activity Thermogenesis, is simply the activity you do outside of a traditional workout.
When it comes to overall health, energy and weight loss, NEAT may be your answer.
*You’ll burn more calories during the day, thus aiding weight loss
*You’ll move your body more, reducing those aches and pains from sitting too long
*You’ll have more energy throughout the day; moving your body generates energy!
Personally, I incorporate NEAT into my day by walking my son to school each day and walking on my treadmill desk when appropriate. I am more energized and productive because of it!
Here are a few ideas to get you started:
– Stand more. Start by standing while talking on the phone, or doing other activities.
– Wash your car by hand.
– Stand or walk the sidelines while watching your kid’s sports
– Carry your groceries
– Deliver messages to a co-worker on foot
– Walk to appointments whenever possible
– Invest in a standing desk, or treadmill desk
– Take the stairs as much as you can and park further away
You don’t need to overhaul your entire lifestyle to start moving more. Look for small ways to move more for your energy and overall well-being!