With summer comes an abundance of, well, zucchini. Growing up I was never a fan of zucchini, but once I started discoveirng all the fun things you can do with the veggie, I became a fan!
One of my favourite things to make with zucchini is zucchini noodles. About two years ago I decided that I wanted to make zucchini noodles, so I went to Amazon and ordered an Oxo Good Grips Mandoline Slicer. I decided since I was already investing the money, I should upgrade to the less-plastic and more longer-lasting madoline slicer. It looks like this:
Want to know how many times I used this mandolin in 2 years? Once. Yep, exactly once. Great concept, but for me, it took way too long to set up, and to clean and put away. So, I perma-loaned it to my sister and bought a hand-held version pictured here:
It was probably less than $10, requires no set up, and very little time cleaning. It’s pretty quick too. Lesson learned.
So, there’s my story about the mandolin. I highly recommend having one, but hopefully this blog post can save you the $80 you were going to spend on a fancy mandolin. And if you really like kitchen gadgets and have a ton of cupboard space, enjoy the real deal.
- 3-4 medium zucchini, in approximately 1/2 inch slices
- 1 humungous eggplant, cubed (or 1 or 2 medium will do but this eggplant was HUGE!)
- 10 cherry tomatoes, cut in half
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 2 cloves garlic, chopped
- Zest of 1 lemon
- Juice of 1 lemon
- Salt & pepper to taste
- Chives, diced
- 1/2 cup feta cheese, crumbled
- Pre-heat oven to 400F. Mix the veggies with lemon, salt, pepper, garlic and oil. Place in roasting dish and roast for about 20-30 minutes, stirring every 10 minutes.
- Once veggies are soft, take out of oven and transfer to serving bowl. Mix in chives and feta and serve warm. Delish!!